Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Women who inspired the music

When the bands hit the stage, what goes on behind the scenes in the dressing rooms and on the Tour Bus is really what intrigues me the most. 

The Women who kept the bands of the 60's and 70's  from being lonely, and basically being their  biggest fans, had so much influence from style, life-style and all around music flowing. 

Groupies, as we know them. Or " Band-Aids" from the unforgettable character, Penny Lane from the great film, Almost Famous, who was captured the true spirit of these girls.  They Inspired the music and Live shows
 Pamela Des Barres a famous groupie know for being with The Byrds, Frank Zappa, Mick Jagger of The Rolling Stones, Jim Morrison and Jimmy Page. 


"Groupies are not just star-fuckers, " insists Des Barres. "We inspired the guys as much as we were inspired by them. It was very equal. They loved us because we dared to have a blast. We looked after them, picked their clothes and showed them the best restaurants to go to. I made cowboy shirts for Jimmy Page and Miss Christine , showed Alice Cooper how to do his 
Makeup."



"I would go on tour with them, on planes, in the back of limos, to parties. I would be on stage with Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who and the Doors. It was a magic time" 


"You know what rock' n' roll means, right?" 
asks Pamela Des Barres, one eyebrow raised: "It means rock'n'roll in the sack. It means sex: the lyrics, the beat of it, the thunderous feeling through your body. Before the word groupie even existed I knew that I wanted to share myself with someone who created that music and turned me on in every kind of way."


- Quotes from Pamela's recent book, I'm With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie.



No comments:

Post a Comment